For the vinaigrette:
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 c olive oil
For the salad:
- 4 c savoy cabbage, sliced as thinly as possible
- 1 large bunch red radishes
- 3 or 4 Granny Smith apples
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 c walnuts, toasted and chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Make vinaigrette: In a bowl, mix together mustard, salt, vinegar and applesauce. Slowly whisk in olive oil a little at a time until the dressing emulsifies. Set aside.
- Make salad: Put shredded cabbage in a large bowl. Shred radishes until you have 1 cup. Add to bowl.
- Core apples and shred to make 2 cups. Put shredded apples in a bowl filled with lemon juice and 2 cups water, to prevent apple from browning.
- When ready to serve, gently squeeze water from apple, add to cabbage and toss slaw with vinaigrette. Add mustard seeds and toss again. Sprinkle walnuts on top of slaw. Season with salt and pepper.
Yield: 6 servings