Note: Use any green variety of kale, collard, turnip or mustard greens or swiss chard. Makes 3 quarts.
- 1 pound greens, rinsed and chopped
- 2 cups onions (1/2 lb)
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 pound Kielbasa (Polish) sausage, thinly sliced (it is easier to slice if it is slightly frozen) (I used some chicken sausage and it was yummy)
- 1 cup dry white wine (which I omitted since we do not drink alcohol)
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 2 cans Cannellini (white) beans ( I used 1 and 1/2 cups dry Adzuki beans and cooked them separately before adding to soup – I think most types of beans would work well)
- Pepper to taste
1. In 6 – 8 quart stock pot over medium-high heat, frequently stir onions, carrots, celery, oil, garlic, thyme, and sausage until sausage is browned, about 10 minutes
2. Add wine, broth, cooked beans, and greens. Bring to boil over high heat, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, until the greens are tender (15 – 25 minutes). Season with pepper.