- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 c. dried yellow split peas, rinsed
- 5 c. water
- 4 c. chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 14 ½-oz. can diced plum tomatoes
- 1 med. peeled sweet potato, ½ in. cubes
- 8 c. coarsely chopped mustard greens, ribs removed
- salt and pepper to taste
In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and cumin and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Add split peas, water and broth and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until split peas have completely broken down, about 1 hour. Add tomatoes, sweet potatoes and mustard greens. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, 25 to 30 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper. Serves 10.
From Eating Well October 1998.