- 1 bunch kale or other greens
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 1-2 slices pancetta or ham cut to1/2 in. chunks
- 1 cup canned or frozen tomatoes
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp thyme
- 1 by leaf
- 3 cups canned white beans (canned or cooked)
- ½ cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1/8 tsp salt
Preheat oven to 350°. Rinse greens, remove stems and cut crosswise into ribbons. In a large pan, heat oil and sauté garlic pancetta. When garlic starts to turn translucent (about 2 minutes) add greens and sauté 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and add the tomatoes, salt, thyme, bay leaf, drained beans and broth. Mix gently. Transfer into an oiled 10 inch gratin dish. Mix topping ingredients, spread over beans and greens mixture and bake 40-50 minutes.
Adapted from Greens: A Country Garden Cookbook by Sibella Kraus.