- 1 lb. fresh salmon, poached
- 4 oz. smoked salmon, minced
- 1 cup mashed potatoes, cooled
- ¼ cup finely chopped scallions
- 1/3 cup minced cilantro
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper
- ½ cup unseasoned bread crumbs
- 2 pint tomatillos
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 jalapeno chile, seeded and chopped
- 2 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
Flake poached salmon into a bowl and mix with the smoked salmon, potatoes, scallions, 2 Tbsp. of the cilantro, and the eggs. Season with salt and pepper. Shape into 16 cakes each 3 inches in diameter and ½ inch thick. Coat evenly with bread crumbs. Cover and chill for an hour. Meanwhile prepare the salsa: combine the remaining cilantro with the tomatillos, onion, chile, and lime juice in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped, not pureed. Transfer to serving dish and set aside. Cook salmon cakes by heating oil in a skillet over medium heat. Fry cakes, turning once, for about 8 minutes a side, until golden brown. You can also broil the salmon cakes until browning and heated through. Serve immediately with salsa.
From The Great Potato Book by Florence Fabricant.