Roasting is a great technique for tenderizing and sweetening larger, late-summer beans. Adding this sauce further enhances this dish.
For the beans:
- 1 lb. green beans, stem ends snapped off
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- Salt and pepper
For the sauce:
- 1 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 c. drained oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes (rinsed, patted dry, coarsely chopped)
- 1/2 c. kalamata olives (quartered lengthwise)
- 2 tsp. minced fresh oregano
- 1/2 c. crumbled goat cheese
An aluminum foil liner prevents burning on dark nonstick baking sheets and facilitates cleanup. Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spread beans on lined baking sheet. Drizzle with oil; using hands, toss to coat evenly. Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp. salt, toss to coat, and distribute in an even layer. Roast 10 minutes.
Remove baking sheet from oven. Using tongs, redistribute beans. Continue roasting until beans are dark golden brown in spots and have started to shrivel, 10 to 12 minutes longer.
While beans roast, combine sauce ingredients in a medium bowl. Add beans; toss well to combine, and adjust seasonings. Transfer to serving dish, top with goat cheese and serve. From Cook’s Illustrated.