For the mustard vinaigrette:
- 2 Tbs. Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbs. lemon juice
- 6 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 Tbs. vodka
For the salad:
- ½ Lb. wax or other beans trimmed and cut French style
- 1 small bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips
- 1 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 1 scallion or 2 Tbs. onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ¼ Lb. thinly sliced cooked smoked ham, cut into strips
- 1Tbs chopped fresh basil
- 2 cups roughly chopped cooked chicken
To make the vinaigrette: Whisk the mustard with the vinegar and lemon juice in a small bowl until smooth. Slowly whisk in the olive oil, then the vodka. Cover and refrigerate until ready to dress salad.
Cook the beans and bell pepper in boiling, salted water until crisp-tender (about 3 minutes). Drain. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the scallion or onion and cook for 1 minute. Add the garlic and cook an additional 3 minutes. Add the beans and peppers, ham, chicken and basil and cook, tossing continually, until warmed through. Transfer the salad to a serving dish, pour the chilled vinaigrette over the top and toss at the table before serving.
From Greene on Greens and Grains.