- 3 Lbs. chicken thighs
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- ½ Tbs. ground cumin
- 3 Tbs. butter
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup raisins
- pinch of saffron threads, crumbled
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 Lb. sweet potatoes or Kabocha squash peeled and cubed (1/2 inch)
- 1 celeriac peeled and cubed (1/2 inch)
- 1 Tbs. honey
Rub chicken pieces with salt, pepper and cumin. If time allows, let stand for 1 to 2 hours. Covering the chicken and refrigerating overnight would be best. When ready to prepare the dish, heat the butter in a large casserole or Dutch oven and cook chicken in batches until golden on all sides. Add the onion and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add raisins, saffron, cinnamon and ginger and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Pour 2 cups water into the casserole. Cover and cook the chicken for 30 minutes over low heat. Add the sweet potatoes or squash and the celeriac along with additional salt and pepper. Simmer the stew, covered 20 minutes. Carefully stir in the honey, taking care not to mash the vegetables.
Adapted from Fooday.