Storage: Leeks store well for weeks in a bag in the refrigerator. Peel any desiccated outer layers and wash just before using. Leeks can have soil between the layers, so slitting the leek lengthwise before rinsing can help to clean them.
Uses: Like onions, leeks are very useful in almost any dish. They are especially good in creamy soups like celeriac, squash or potato. Remember that almost the entire leek should be used, pale green tops are flavorful. Flat leaves can be used for flavoring vegetable stocks.
- Barley Risotto with Greens, Radicchio and Leeks
- Braised Leeks
- Butternut Leek Soup
- Celery Root and Wild Rice Chowder
- Cottage Cheese and Leek Pie
- Dutch Split Pea Soup
- Famous Fall Roots Soup
- Garlic Veloute with Croutons and Prosciutto
- Leek and Tomato Sauce
- Leek Frittata
- Leek Gratin
- Leonie’s Potato-Leek Soup
- Middle Eastern Leeks